I grew up in Dryden, Ontario where just about everyone worked in the forest products industry. Issues such as sustainable management of forests and water quality, in particular, the contamination of the Wabigoon River with mercury, got me interested in the environment. This led to a B.Sc. from the Department of Earth Sciences at the University of Waterloo, including thesis work at the Experimental Lakes Area, and a Ph.D. from the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Manitoba that involved some time at the Geological Survey of Canada in Calgary. I spent the years between 2004 and 2011 as a faculty member in the Department of Earth Sciences at St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia.
I am currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil and Geological Engineering at the University of Saskatchewan. I do most of my research and teaching in hydrogeology and engineering geology but make frequent detours into research in climate change and sustainable energy. My current research projects are funded by NSERC, the Sylvia Fedoruk Centre for Nuclear Innovation, the International Minerals Innovation Institute and the Geological Survey of Canada.
I am the past-president of the International Association of Hydrogeologists – Canadian National Chapter and current chair of the International Association of Hydrogeologists Commission of Groundwater and Energy. I have a history of not being able to say no to involvement with scientific associations and outreach activities.
- Steeves, J. T., Barbour, S. L., Ferguson, G., and Carey, S. K. In press. Heat transfer within frozen slopes in subarctic Yukon, Canada. Environmental Geotechnics. http://dx.doi.org/10.1680/jenge.15.00058.
- Beebe, C.R., Ferguson, G., Gleeson, T. Morgan, L. and Werner, A.D. 2016. Application of an Analytical Solution as a Screening Tool for Sea Water Intrusion. Groundwater. doi:10.1111/gwat.12411.
- Grasby, S., Ferguson, G., Brady, A., Sharp, C., Dunfield, P. and McMechan, M. 2015. Deep groundwater circulation and associated methane leakage in the Northern Canadian Rocky Mountains. Applied Geochemistry 68, 10-18.
- Ferguson, G. and Jasechko, S. 2015. The Isotopic Composition of the Laurentide Ice Sheet and Fossil Groundwater. Geophysical Research Letters 42, doi:10.1002/2015GL064106.
- Ferguson, G. 2015. Screening for Heat Transport by Groundwater in Closed Geothermal Systems. Groundwater 53 (3), 503-506.
- Ferguson, G. 2015. Issue Paper: Deep Injection of Waste in the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin. Groundwater 53 (2), 187-194.
- Zhan, W., Ju, W., Hai, S., Ferguson, G., Quan, J., Tang, C., Guo, Z., and Kong, F. 2014. Satellite-Derived Subsurface Urban Heat Island. Environmental Science & Technology 48(20): 12134-12140.
- Allen, D. M., Bayer, P., Ferguson, G., and Blum, P. 2014. Hydrogeology of shallow thermal systems. Hydrogeology Journal 22: 1-6.
- Ferguson, G., and Grasby, S.E. 2014. The geothermal potential of the basal clastics of Saskatchewan, Canada. Hydrogeology Journal 22: 143-150.
- Haehnlein, S., Bayer, P., Ferguson, G., Blum, P. 2013. Sustainability and policy for the thermal use of shallow geothermal energy, – Energy Policy. 59: 914-925
- Ferguson, G. 2013. Subsurface Energy Footprints. Environmental Research Letters. 8:014037 (6pp).
- Ireson, A.M., van der Kamp, G., Ferguson, G., Nachshon, U. and Wheater, H.S. 2013. Hydrogeological processes in seasonally frozen northern latitudes: understanding gaps and challenges. Hydrogeology Journal 21: 53-66.
- Bense, V.F., Kooi, H, Ferguson, G. and Read, T. 2012. Permafrost degradation as a control on hydrogeological regime shifts in a warming climate. Journal of Geophysical Research 117, F3.
- Gleeson, T., Allen, D.M and Ferguson, G. 2012. Teaching hydrogeology: a review of current practice. Hydrology and Earth Systems Science 6: 2159-2168.
- Ferguson, G. and Gleeson, T. 2012. Vulnerability of coastal aquifers to groundwater use and climate change. Nature Climate Change 2: 342-345.
- Ferguson, G. 2012. Characterizing uncertainty in groundwater-source heating and cooling projects. Energy 37: 201-206.
- Ferguson, G. and Grasby, S.E. 2011. Thermal Springs of North America. Geofluids 11: 294-301.
- Ferguson, G. and Bense, V. 2011. Is one-dimensional treatment of heat flow appropriate in groundwater discharge studies? Ground Water 49: 336-347.
- Zhu, K., Blum, P., Ferguson, G., Balke, K.-D. and Bayer, P. 2010. Geothermal potential of urban heat islands. Environmental Research Letters 5: 04402 (6 pp).
- Bense, V.F., Ferguson, G. and Kooi. 2009. The evolution of shallow groundwater flow systems in areas of degrading permafrost. Geophysical Research Letters 36, L22401, doi:10.1029/2009GL039225, 2009.
- Underwood, E.C., Ferguson, G., Betcher, R.N. and Phipps, G. 2009. Elevated Barium Concentrations in a Sandstone Aquifer. Journal of Hydrology 376:126-131.
- Ferguson, G. 2009. Unfinished Business in Geothermal Energy. Guest Editorial. Ground Water 47:167, DOI:10.1111/j.1745-6584.2008.00528.x
- Ferguson, G., Grasby, S.E. and Hindle, S.R.* 2009. What do aqueous geothermometers really tell us? Geofluids 9: 39-48 DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-8123.2008.00237.x
- Ferguson, G. and Woodbury, A.D. 2007. Urban Heat Island Effect in the Subsurface. Geophysical Research Letters 34, L23713, doi:10.1029/2007GL032324.
- Ferguson, G. 2007. Heterogeneity and thermal modeling of ground water. Ground Water 45: 485-490. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2007.00323.x
- Ferguson, G., Betcher, R.N. and Grasby, S.E. 2007. The Hydrogeology of the Winnipeg Formation in Manitoba, Canada. Hydrogeology Journal 15: 573-587, doi: 10.1007/s10040-006-0130-4
- Ferguson, G., H. Beltrami and A. Woodbury. 2006. Perturbation of ground surface temperature reconstructions by groundwater flow? Geophysical Research Letters 33, L13708, doi:10.1029/2006GL026634.
- Ferguson, G. and Woodbury, A.D. 2006. Observed thermal pollution and post-development simulations of low-temperature geothermal systems in Winnipeg, Canada. Hydrogeology Journal 14: 1206-1215, doi: 10.1007/s10040-006-0047-y.
- Ferguson, G. and Beltrami, H. 2006. Transient Lateral Heat Flow due to Land-Use Changes. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 242: 217-222.
- Ferguson, G. 2006. The Use of Particle Tracking in the Assessment of Low Temperature Geothermal Energy Developments. Geothermics 35: 44-58.
- Majorowicz, J., Grasby, S., Ferguson, G., Safanda, J. and Skinner, W. 2006. Paleoclimatic reconstructions in Western Canada from subsurface temperatures: consideration of groundwater flow. Climate of the Past 2: 1-10.
- Woodbury, A.D. and Ferguson, G. 2006. Ground surface paleotemperature reconstruction using information measures and empirical Bayes. Geophysical Research Letters 33: L06702, doi:10.1029/2005GL025243.
- Ferguson, G. and Woodbury, A.D. 2005. Sustainability of groundwater as a coolant in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 42: 1290-1301.
- Ferguson, G. 2005. Comment on ” Borehole temperatures, climate change and pre-observational surface air temperature
- mean: allowance for hydraulic conditions”. Global and Planetary Change 48: 313-314.
- Beltrami, H., Ferguson, G. and Harris, R. 2005. Long-term tracking of climate by underground temperatures. Geophysical Research Letters 32, L19707, doi:10.1029/2005GL023714.
- Ferguson, G., and Woodbury, A.D. 2005. The Effect of Climatic Variability on Estimates of Recharge derived from Temperature Data. Ground Water 43(6): 837-842.
- Ferguson, G. and Woodbury, A.D. 2004. Subsurface Heat Flow in an Urban Environment. Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth 109, B02402, doi:10.1029/2003JB002715.
- Ferguson, G., Woodbury, A.D. and Matile, G.L.D. 2003. Estimating Deep Recharge Rates Beneath an Interlobate Moraine Using Temperature Logs. Ground Water 41(5): 640-646.
- Ferguson, G. and St. George, S. 2003. Estimating Groundwater Levels in Southern Manitoba Using Hydroclimatic Data. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 39(5): 1249-1260.